Sunday, November 18, 2012

continuing the jaunt


I dare you to stand alongside the Mississippi and not at least hum Old Man River.  Would have been fun to take one of the evening jazz cruises.


Fun fountain--very near the ubiquitous Cafe du Monde--judging by the piles of powdered sugar along the bricks.


Tasteful (and rather understated for this area) Christmas wreaths.


 Love the ferns and the 'Peace Ya'll' greeting.


 History plaque for the educator in me.


Possibly horribly wrong of me to not only use two adverbs in a description, but to think the venerable St. Louis Cathedral looks like something out of Disneyland.


The true reason for my pilgrimage--Preservation Hall.  Was disappointed the band was out on tour; got to hear them when I worked at Mondavi, but I still wanted to sit inside on the old pews and breathe in music history.


 Next time.  And there will be a next time; haven't fallen this hard for a city since I first met London in 1989.


Gas lamps; much more atmospheric in some of the foggy b/w photographs I saw, but they're still fun.


So much detail and colour and life packed into such a small neighborhood--love the enormous variety.





 My birthday candle, amongst all the other wishes and hopes.


There is music literally everywhere here.  From kids on the curbs, to all the cafes and bars and someone was bashing out a concerto in the empty church.


Light beginning to fade on this day of enchantment.





$.11 found on my ramble.

3 comments:

  1. Beignets! That's the name of the donutty treats that are unique to New Orleans. Did you have one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pics and am glad you had better weather then we did while there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ging--see next posting.

    Nin--the weather was ideal. Truly! Feel lucky I was there during the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete