Saturday, November 17, 2012

new year, nola


For this year's birthday trip, I decided to head to Nawlins; a place which I've wanted to go for a very long musical time.  So, hopped in my car and headed to Louisiana for the first time.


Pretty cool to be now be able to say that I've driven across all of Texas; granted, not in one trip, but still!


Do not really recommend driving through the French Quarter--between the narrow, pot-holed streets and the hundreds of inebriated pedestrians, it was a relief to tuck my car into the teeny parking garage at Place d'Arms--my lovely hotel for the duration.







Charming courtyard--one of the things I love most about Europe (and now New Orleans) is the concept of putting the building/house directly on the sidewalk and then having a private inner courtyard.


My discount room came with no windows--which other than a fleeting 'what if there's a fire' thought, was delightfully dark for sleeping.


 Besides, I literally spent every waking hour wandering the city; think I walked a total of 16 hours in the time I was there.  I began with a sunrise trek to the St. Louis Cemetery--right across from the Louis Armstrong Park.


 It's as iconic as it appears in all photos and movies.  I was disappointed that, while I heard fabulous music the entire time, I did not get to hear a traditional funeral parade.


 The weather could not have been more ideal for the 48 hours I was there--cool enough in the mornings to want a jacket and a brisk pace and then warm enough in the afternoons to sit at a cafe table and bask.



 It was oddly rejuvenating to wander through a graveyard on the eve of a birthday.





 Katrina aftermath still to be seen--SO many buildings for sale.  Should I win the lottery, I will buy one and run a seasonal B/B.


 Love the champers on the grave site.



There are a few palm trees around Austin, but it was nice to see them in more abundance.  And now off to the see the living parts of the city...

2 comments:

  1. How fascinating. I was in N.O. once for a conference and wandered around a bit, but didn't visit a cemetery. Walked by the river and ate a donutty thing, the name of which I don't recall at the moment.

    ReplyDelete