Sunday, April 13, 2014

& crisp apple strudel


After sitting on my 'to explore' list for a couple of years, finally made it to Fredericksburg~site of one of the large Germanic settlements in Texas.  Was completely surprised to learn that Admiral Nimitz was a Texan~you'd think somewhere in my years of California living, I would have learned that factoid.


 This is part of the house his grandparents built when they arrived in America.


Whimsical bench.


Close-up of some of the glasswork.


Honest-to-goodness flaky and scrumptious apple strudel!


And of course, a pretzel with German mustard had to be tried.


Wildflowers for miles.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers!. Sounds like a good outing for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to explore something for the afternoon!

      Delete
  2. Ach, those bluebells.
    I'm always intrigued by where Germans settle en mass. Post WWII, they settled in Chile, and I can't wait 'til SOMEDAY when I get over there to see the German and WELSH settlements... and see how their cultural pillars shifted to embrace the new. Texas and ..Germany aren't two things I would've thought would mix, but.. heck. Why not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they clustered in groups where they shared a language and an affinity for butter/potatoes and laced curtains~but I'm sure it was still a wrench to leave the old world.

      Delete
  3. Oooh...I like the glass flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they had a Christmas shop and I was hoping to find a glass ornament, but no. Guess the artist only does larger pieces.

      Delete