Tuesday, September 16, 2014

sweet JAYSUS, this had better never fly out of my lamp


About stepped on this climbing the stairs to my classroom~according to one of our science teachers, this is a Black Witch Moth.   I looked it up online and found that it's got a 7-inch wing span and, for those movie trivia buffs, this is the moth in Silence of the Lambs.


Here's me, inching my shoe towards it so I would have some kind of scale.    While it's beautiful, I don't really need to see it fly about my being.

4 comments:

  1. wow-everything is BIGGER in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember finding a luna moth one night in Irwin... I'm pretty sure everyone heard me suck all the air out of the room. Gorgeous but WAY TOO HUGE. I like the little eye on this one. And your little pointy-witch shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those eyes in the middle of their wings are a bit creepy, if you stare too long. And I think I would do far more than suck air out of a room if one of those zoomed about my head. One of the articles said how much they like to hang out on lintels. Oh yeah. That's what every homecoming at the end of day needs....

      Delete