Wednesday, January 13, 2016

happy is smaller than you think

is one of my favourite quotes that I read last year.  Today's happy were~a quite literal necklace with the molecules of serotonin.


(One of my piano student's father stared at it and asked me if I knew what it was.  I said yes.  He told me that it is also the molecule found in caffeine and cocaine. [I am guessing that he's a chemist by profession?].  I just laughed and said that it was a reminder to look for whatever gives one a lift.)


And!  Someone at work gifted the studio teachers with passes to the Blanton.  If you've read my blog for awhile, you know how fond I am of this UT museum, but once school starts, I am unable to make the free Thursdays.  Now, I get to visit this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. There's a great hue and cry (in the children's lit field, anyway, which, granted, is...not that large; perhaps the hue and cry might be better characterized as medium sized) about the Newbery being awarded this year to a mere picture book, but it's called THE LAST STOP ON MARKET STREET and it's about a kid riding a bus - because he and his grandmere don't have a car. And he makes observations throughout the book about the things they don't have, and "why must we do x, y, or z?" to which she redirects him to the bigger picture of the beauty in the world, even in their working-class neighborhood with the tatted up neighbors.

    That came to mind when you mentioned that "happy is smaller than you think." Yes. Yes, it is, and it's more significant than you know that you're aware of this. Many people - possibly including the people currently screaming themselves blue about a "mis-awarded award" are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus? The small stuff happens so much more often than the bigger happys.

    (and no, even teaching at an elite middle school, there's been no murmur of "bad" awards.)

    ReplyDelete