Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pythagorean-ish


Got a call during lunch to see if I wanted to sub last night.  As my car has recently developed expensive habits, I said yes.  Fortunately, it was at one of the CC campuses near me.  Rushed home to feed/water my cat and myself and then onwards to class.  To my horror, I walked in to discover it was a geometry class.  For THREE hours.


The best teacher trick I've learned is that when one is flailing--for any reason--make the students do the work.  So, I did.  Luckily there were enough markers for the white boards, so I drew groups of problems on the board.  


In every group--no matter the age, language, subject--you will find a smart-ass.  This is your Special Helper.  Last night, Calvin was mine.  He was brilliant--all shrieking about right angles, square roots,  and hypotenuse.   The class turned into such an exuberant session that we had the next door teacher coming to check on us.

The only down side to having such wonderful classes at night is that I'm wired up and writing lesson plans until late.

  
Well, that, and the enormous contrast in my day.  Mornings find me on the west side, watching students get dropped off in Escalades and Hummers and Jaguars.  Usually with mommy or nanny gushing over precious little so-and-so.  I feel sorry for this student body--they're already jaded with their weekends jaunts to Vail and Manhattan and summers in Europe.   They're lazy and disrespectful and entitled.  And they all have special little educational plans which the counselor has to go over.  (This is not to disparage children who actually need some kind of accommodation, but IMO, laziness and self-indulgence are not things which need an IEP.)

Oh, and they're all under 14.

By evening, I am in run-down classrooms that have broken desks and few amenities that we consider basic.  The students are dropped off by friends/family, walk or hop off the bus.  They've come from work and/or raising their kids.  And here they are.  Polite.  Funny.  And I haven't found the right word for the spirit of adults who are willing to learn--either the scariness/frustration of English or coming back to get their GED.


I hope it doesn't come across as condescending when I say I am humbled and inspired by the second group of students.  Yes, this population of the educational world has challenges, but for now?  It is giving me courage to get up in the morning and to stay in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment