Sunday, September 16, 2018

metro time

Enjoyed a one-day ESL training/conference this weekend~was both fun and helpful to be around a group of teachers again. (Yes, both of my current schools are good places to work, but they are hourly, so there is minimal time with colleagues and I miss that.) 


Went back in today for a Turkish Film Fest and enjoyed my street tacos at one of these hidden tables I've discovered. Since it feels tropical, figure I may as well eat amongst the plumeria and other wild foliage.


I'm already missing the convenience with which I can pop on Metro and explore the city. Already planning my next move and am adamant that it must be walking/bus distance to a station.



I really love leaves that are purple~something about them is surprising and stunning. 


And may I just say that a three-hour Turkish film is not perhaps a good pick me up?  Oy to the vay.

This was the blurb that lured me in (that, and it was free):

The Freer|Sackler is honored to welcome Nuri Bilge ("Once Upon a Time in Anatolia", the Palme d’Or winner "Winter Sleep"), Turkey’s most accomplished director, to screen and discuss his latest film, which debuted to near-unanimous accolades at this year’s Cannes Film Festival. In it, an aspiring writer returns to his hometown to try to further his career, only to be forced into a reckoning with his father’s shadowy past. Suffused with the philosophical, visual, and narrative richness that characterize Ceylan’s films, "The Wild Pear Tree" is “a gentle, humane, beautifully made and magnificently acted movie . . . It’s an unhurried, elegiac address to the idea of childhood and your hometown, and how returning to both has a bittersweet savour" (Peter Bradshaw, "The Guardian")


And don't be lured in by this clip. There's zero romance~in any of the generations, no one dies (although the protagonist is such a miserable git, you're rooting for him to get offed) and it's all grim endurance and the hopelessness of life. 

But the scoring and most of the scenery was incredible. So, there's that. And I felt all intellectual and artsy for an afternoon.


Eighteen more resumes went out today~I don't know what I'll do for a hobby once I actually land a steady job. 

And that wraps up my weekend. A busy week of teaching & tutoring ahead~and if, Alexandria isn't flooded~a field trip on Friday to the Torpedo Art Factory.


2 comments:

  1. Well, the movie blurb lost me at 'suffused with the philosophical,' bc that means NOTHING HAPPENS, but yes, one would indeed have full license to feel both artsy and intellectual for a full day after all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing pearls today to continue the highbrow theme.(actually they go with my top.)

      Delete