Friday, March 1, 2013

belated

President Day poetry.



 George Washington’s Birthday: Wondering 

~Bobbi Katz

I wonder what I would have said
if my dad asked me, 
do you know who cut down 
my pretty cherry tree?” 
I think I might have closed my eyes 
and thought a little bit 
about the herds of elephants 
I’d seen attacking it. 
I would have heard the rat-a-tat 
of woodpeckers, at least, 
or the raging roar of a charging boar
or some such other beast! 
Perhaps a hippopotamus 
with nothing else to do 
had wandered through our garden 
and stopped to take a chew. 
We all know George said, “Father, I cannot tell a lie.” 
Yet I can’t help but wonder 
Did he really try?


Here's to the month of 4-leaf clovers and to uncovering truth in whatever form we find it.

4 comments:

  1. Happy March, may Truth emerge, and Rabbit Rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious cherries.
    There are robins eating...something in the tree in the yard, but sadly, we have no blossoms. (Or, maybe fortunately.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, I saw a tree with the most gorgeous deep purple blooms. Must find out what it is. Am guessing that last night's frost may have slowed the blossoming enthusiasm.

      Delete