Friday, October 27, 2017

get comfy


No poetry today~just a pictorial walk-along. I stumbled upon the fact that the Gem & Mineral Exhibit at the Smithsonian was closing yesterday for renovations. And, as it won't reopen until 2019, I hopped on Metro and zipped into town to have one last stroll. (I've heard that it's going to be a vile Genius Bar sort of virtual exhibit from now on. The entire POINT of the Smithsonians is the real artifacts. But I digress.) 


Some examples of my birthstone~none were for sale in the gift shop. 


More shades of topaz. 




This is about 7 feet of crystal from Arizona. 


Fuzzy crystals! 


The rainbow array of what can be dug up from our planet. Pretty cool. 


Had to return to that weird paper-floating-through-the-room exhibit. 


Grabbed a burrito for lunch and hung out in one of my favorite gardens. 



These were shaped like sweet peas, but the pods were huge. No signage as to what they were.




The same vista that had cherry blossoms earlier this year. 



The Pacific end of the WWII Memorial. There was some kind of small ceremony going on at the Atlantic end~lots of Greek flags and a brass quintet. Just a lovely moment. 


It always seems to be so windy by the Washington Monument~I'll leave a moment for you to insert a joke about hot air/gas and Congress... 



Since it was a gorgeous day, decided to walk over and say hello to Lincoln and to beg his ghost to impart some kind of wisdom/decorum to the current West Wingers. 


There's something about this monument that moves me every time I climb the several hundred steps to visit.






Department of Agriculture has a elegant facade.



Happy last Friday of October. The days are dragging, but the year is zipping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment