Sunday, November 17, 2019

bien manger

 

Loved this ad/art/poster.




Forgot to add that I tried cacao juice at my chocolate tasting on Friday. It was...strong. Had flavors of lychee and/or pineapple...and something like 45 grams of sugar.


Don't know if it's winter, but the cafes in my 'hood seem to have whimsical hours, but I finally got into the closest crepery. When they say that they've won national awards for their latte art, they are not joking. 


Joie & I were thrilled to have a magical sea horse on our coffee. 


It's going to be hard to leave all the food in this city; there's definitely a French obsession with good flavors.



The bells started ringing just as I climbed the steps to attend a liturgy at Notre Dame~the organ and the choir were lovely and I managed to keep up in French.



Odd to see the Virginia art motto here.



I thought it was my darling felt with the jaunty bow hat that was prompting all the French spoken to me~even the shop keepers and wait staff use it solely to me. But. I discovered that Rue St. Laurent (named after the river, natch) splits the island into an English side and a French side and I'm staying on the French side.

I've a new appreciation for the mental exhaustion that all my ESL students live with using a bilingual brain. 

4 comments:

  1. I've discovered another new juice - can't say the cacao one would have tempted me!! I'm making rice these days using coconut water, which is delish, but I am going to try maple juice -- unboiled down maple syrup. It does contain sugar but since it's not concentrated, it's apparently refreshing. I'm now on the lookout for the cacao, but I kind of hate lychee, so... problematic. Still, very interesting!

    I cannot believe that felt hat is still in good shape lo, these many years later. I'm glad it goes over your ears!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to say that I've avoided any/all things maple here. Not a fan, but I understand that Quebec makes hundreds of gallons of it.

      This hat better last forever~I get so many compliments on it!

      Delete
  2. Excellent! When I was unexpectedly stranded in Montreal with strangers at the age of three, I'd never known there were other ways to speak than English. The fact that no one could understand me, nor I them, magnified my dismay that my parents had mysteriously disappeared. In this alien world, I didn't discover for weeks that we had halted our locomotive move from PEI to Alberta for the early birth of my brother!

    ReplyDelete