Monday, December 2, 2013

o tannenbaum

Don't remember the exact year that the tradition of getting an ornament per year began, but think it was in the late 80s. As this isn't a year for a lovely 6' fresh tree, there is only a sampling of baubles and memories out for this season.  Maybe, if I'm feeling ambitious, I shall rotate my collection so that they all get a chance to see an Austin Christmas.


From the Monterey Bay Aquarium, 2002.  That is one gorgeous stretch of real estate.


Carnegie Hall, 2007~purchased during our Beethoven/Mahler rehearsals.


This one isn't an ornament per se, just a reminder of how GRATEFUL I am that I am not working retail anymore.  Lindt Chocolate, Princeton, 2008.


Scandinavian glass heart from San Fransisco, circa 1990.


Peanut reindeer heads made by my siblings~still one of my favorite (almost earless) ornaments.  1990s.


This year's ornament~the Alamo.  2013.  (Yes, I realize that this is a bizarre choice for a season of peace/joy, but it's where I traveled first this year.)


The cheesy tourist one, Liberty/Ellis Island.  2008


Gorgeous glass drop, Lincoln City~probably late 90s.


A student found these brass notes at a rummage sale and polished them all for me~normally, I am not a fan of music motif things, but these are lovely.  Tracy, 1998.


From one of my bosses at Mondavi~she said that I did things with grace and elegance and this ornament reminded her of me.  Sweet words.  Napa Valley, 2001.


Last year's wooden stars from New Orleans!  2012


From Seaside, 2010.

2 comments:

  1. I never got into actual ornaments; last year we went up to Church Mouse and bought a few to hang over the window... and I have glass icicles my friend Jackie gave me, and then I have the little clay balls I made and painted the first year I was married, that we put on a little Charlie Brown tree and they were SO HEAVY the branches all bowed down. So funny. But, that's it for ornaments. I should go back to the thrift store...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how this has morphed into a memory tree. And yes, I can only hang a couple of the brass notes or the fake tree falls over.

      Delete