Tuesday, July 8, 2014

sense of dignity

I like this.  Very much.


 "Patience does not mean biding your time and trying to slow down. Impatience arises when you become too sensitive and you don’t have any way to deal with your environment, your atmosphere. You feel very touchy, very sensitive. So patience is often described as a suit of armor. Patience has a sense of dignity and forbearance. You are not so easily disturbed by the world’s aggression."

~Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche


(Okay, perhaps not the best illustration for the lofty quote, but it's funny.)

5 comments:

  1. “Make your ego porous. Will is of little importance, complaining is nothing, fame is nothing. Openness, patience, receptivity, solitude is everything.”
    ― Rainer Maria Rilke

    “I heard a preacher say recently that hope is a revolutionary patience... Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up.”
    ― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep slogging away is how I heard Whoopi Goldberg phrase it this week. All good words.

      Delete
  2. So Rilke and Lamott - a rare pairing. I like them both for different reasons. Laurie, I don't know the ethnicity of the poet you quoted - I know - I should know these things - the Scrabble illustration is great - "patience" has morphed into a broader meaning for me - including "hope." Thanks, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think these traits may take a lifetime to acquire. :)

      Delete
    2. Laurie's Aunt Carroll: Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche was a Buddhist gentleman from China. I usually just Google everything I don't know - hasn't failed me yet!

      Delete