Monday, April 9, 2018

cheery & chilly cherry blossoms.


The cherry blossom watch said today was a peak day to visit, so after work I bundled up, hopped on Metro and wandered the Mall/Basin.


Yes! This is a real picture taken with my camera~it's even more gorgeous in person. I only got a small glimpse last year, so this was stunning.


Pretty enchanting to walk under all these blooms~even though it was cold enough that the petals felt like snowflakes coming down.



Whenever I'm in the 'hood, I always have to say hello to Lincoln.



They are setting up a Holocaust Remembrance installation all along the Reflecting Pool. 








 



Tulip trees ready to bloom in front of....yes! The Dept of Agriculture. 




Popped in to see what was blooming at the Castle gardens.






And now I have a groovy new Metro card.


 And now, I feel as though I've experienced the cherry blossoms.

2 comments:

  1. WOW.
    Those are gorgeous!! I assume someone picks up the cherries later, because there's, like, no tradition of cherry-picking on the Capitol steps or anything... but everyone knows about the blossoms.

    What a lovely thing to do on a chilly day. And tulip trees! Those are kind of amazing, aren't they?

    I spent Sunday sitting as far away from an oak tree as I could get, whilst those little caterpillars parachuted down on skeins of silk... and landed all over everywhere. It was... slightly less enchanting than a rain of cherry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was incredible. I now see why it's such a big deal! (Tulip trees are as messy as magnolias~gorgeous for three days and a pain the rest of the year.)

    I believe they are ornamental only~as I cannot imagine the mess of ripe fruit and hordes of summer tourists.

    ReplyDelete