Monday, December 31, 2012

it is now or not


Lake near sis/bro-in-law's  Virginia home, December 2012

The time has come 
To stop allowing the clutter 
To clutter my mind 
Like dirty snow, 
Shove it off and find 
Clear time, clear water. 



Chihuly Exhibit, Seattle, May 2012

Time for a change, 
Let silence in like a cat 
Who has sat at my door 
Neither wild nor strange 
Hoping for food from my store 
And shivering on the mat. 


en route to Texas, June 2012

Let silence in. 
She will rarely speak or mew, 
She will sleep on my bed 
And all I have ever been 
Either false or true 
Will live again in my head. 


birthday candle, New Orleans, November 2012

For it is now or not 
As old age silts the stream, 
To shove away the clutter, 
To untie every knot, 
To take the time to dream, 
To come back to still water. 

 "New Year Resolve" by May Sarton, from Collected Poems 1930-1993. © W.W. Norton & Co., 1993. 


Lady Bird Wildflower Center, July 2012

What an incredible year. Intense, chaotic, stumbling/tumbling into a rather healthy and glorious chapter. I would never have dreamed a year ago in the damp and miserable wilds that I would be living in a lovely sunny place with all manner of adventures achieved & new friends met. And yes, it's true that I still maintain September is the true start to the year, January break is an excellent moment to pause and take inner inventory. 

Or not. Maybe it's enough to simply roast some squash and craft a spicy soup and sit in quietness. 

Welcome, 2013.



1 comment: