Friday, December 14, 2012

re-do?





Woke up this morning with
a terrific urge to lie in bed all day
and read. Fought against it for a minute.

Then looked out the window at the rain.
And gave over. Put myself entirely
in the keep of this rainy morning.

Would I live my life over again?
Make the same unforgiveable mistakes?
Yes, given half a chance. Yes.

"Rain" by Raymond Carver, from The Collected Poems. © Knopf, 1996.




It's not raining & I'm not really regretting much, but I've much mulling to do in the next few weeks.  I have a friend who yammers on about staying present and to not live in the past (or future), but I think it's useful to look at one's trail and see the detours & remember the vistas as a way to set off on the next path.



Here's to the weekend--well-earned.  Here's to figuring out which bend in the road is more enticing.

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine is sneaking her kids out of school tomorrow and they're going to the bookstore and they're going to read. All day. That is their prize for being good citizens.

    Those girls are going to grow up to rule the freakin' world.

    I'm all for sitting with who we are and where we are, in the moment, but there IS something to be said for seeing how we've been led on our path in the past...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would this be Liz's girls? I think I ought to pull myself out of school and spend the day at a bookstore as well!

      Delete