Monday, December 17, 2012

Trail of Lights


Last night was the opening night for Austin's weekly Trail of Lights that is in Zilker Park.


Had snackage at my favorite tapas place and then hiked across the 1st Street bridge into the masses.  For once, the shuffle-shuffle, elbow-in-the-head-from-eager-photographer and the bloody shins from reckless strollers drivers didn't irritate me.  (Well, not as much; only muttered and glared a couple of times.)


It was a bit soothing to be utterly engulfed in happy gasps and lots of joyful shrieks as small people recognized beloved cartoon and fairy creatures.


Kept trying to capture the light changes in these trees.  It takes the park/corporation six weeks to set this entire exhibit in place.


I was a little tweaked that they weren't playing Brubeck at this scene to honor his passing last week, but I hummed it out loud to pay homage to the musical legacy of the jazz man.


My favorite tree--flavor of Seuss, I think!


The closing tunnel--I dubbed it the Hanukkah Hallway.  


  There is still light.  

And so today, even with the classroom doors locked tightly and security wandering the campus, I wear glitter eye-shadow and a sparkly headband and shall sit and read Seuss to my children and we will listen to carols, played very loudly.  

There is still light.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool exhibit! Love all the lights!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Messenger

    My work is loving the world.
    Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird —
    equal seekers of sweetness.
    Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
    Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

    Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
    Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me
    keep my mind on what matters,
    which is my work,

    which is mostly standing still and learning to be
    astonished.
    The phoebe, the delphinium.
    The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
    Which is mostly rejoicing, since all ingredients are here,

    which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
    and these body-clothes,
    a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
    to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
    telling them all, over and over, how it is
    that we live forever.


    ~ Mary Oliver ~

    Yes, there is still light. Be astonished.

    ReplyDelete