Friday, July 26, 2013

there will be news

Been awhile since I've shared poetry~liked the reminder from this poem that a sense of perspective is good.   
 

The Day I Die

will be a Saturday or a Tuesday, maybe.
A day with a weather forecast,
a high and a low.  There will be news:
a scandal, a disaster, some good
deed.  The mail will come.  People
will walk their dogs.


The day I die will be a certain
day, a square on a calendar page
to be flipped up and pinned
at the end of the month.  It may be August
or November; school will be out or in;
somebody will have to catch a plane.


There will be messages, bills to pay,
things left undone.  It will be a day
like today, or tomorrow~a date
I might note with a reminder, an appointment,
or nothing at all.

"The Day I Die" by Krista Lukas, from Fans of My Unconscious. © Black Rock Press, 2013. Reprinted

2 comments:

  1. This brings to mind another poem, teasing at the edge of memory... but I don't know what.

    Huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; thought I was going a little nuts because I was trying to find the poem which this one reminded me of. If that convoluted sentence makes any sense!

      Delete