Saturday, March 30, 2019

fleurs de printemps



This pose captures my middle niece SO completely. She brings a lot of energy and joy to all of us.
 

It's once again the magical week of cherry blossoms in this region.


It was too crowded to walk, so I didn't do the full Tidal Basin loop. 


They are one of the most stunning things I've seen.


I now understand why there's a 'cherry blossom watch' Twitter feed so people know exactly when to visit the trees.


Since that walk was a bit short, I zipped over to the National Portrait Gallery where the annual Orchid Festival was displayed. 





The photos don't even come close to capturing what the space was like. What was incredible to me is how accessible all the plants were and how people were being very careful around them.








I think these were my favorite~New Year's Fireworks was the English translation of the Latin name.






One last shot~and even though it's still in the 20s at night for the next couple of weeks, I just swapped out all my winter/spring clothing.


While bummed they weren't selling the cherry soap this year, I did get a fun picnic plate to commemorate the 2019 blooms.

4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful flowers and cherry trees. Niece was acting zany like she often does, but oh, how fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you'll be living here next spring and can see them in person!

    We'll be laughing for years about Ms. Zany and her "tweet/tweet" comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That "picnic plate" is gorgeous. Now that I know how humid it is in your neck o' the woods, I can see how you all have orchids growing outside. And all over. It's still raining, raining, raining here, but my pear tree is flowering finally - so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had humidity. Yet. I'm getting ready to plant some bamboo on my balcony; have never grown it before. I wouldn't chance orchids outside here with the tumultuous winds that hit during summer storms.

      Delete