Thursday, October 24, 2013

between oblivious & wary


 Honeysuckle still blooming like mad in the mid-autumn warmth.


Jewels from the first of the season pomegranates.


Read an essay by a woman who is rediscovering ice-skating in her 50s.  She was reflecting on the difference between the crazed darting of her 12-year-old self and her future fragile-boned self which should stay off the ice~and crafted this beautiful line:

'It's not a bad place to live, between oblivious and wary.'  
~Karen Stabiner

4 comments:

  1. Laurie, I like that observation - "between oblivious and wary" - good insight! We too had pomegranate pearls at Seaside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful phrase to describe balance!

      And I wait all year for pomegranate season.

      Delete
    2. The lighter I get, the more I ponder sports like this I previously was too terrified to even attempt. Maybe not ice skating, landing badly on such unyielding surfaces, but telemark skiing, maybe. Open water swimming? Something. I want to be adventurous, and not dull, but also not be punished for impetuosity. Somewhere there is that happy medium...

      Delete