Sunday, October 6, 2013

peace of wild things

 It's been a quiet weekend, but oh so lovely (aside from a transformer blowing and losing power prior to cooking breakfast).  Woke to crisp skies after a building-shaking thunderstorm last night. Today was spent mostly outside~repotting some of my balcony garden, painting a table and a long ramble in the autumn sunshine.  A lovely break from the national news.  A friend shared this poem today~thought it was too good and timely to wait until Friday.




When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound 
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be, 
I go and lie down where the wood drake 
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. 
I come into the peace of wild things 
who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. I come into the presence of still water. 
And I feel above me the day-blind stars 
waiting with their light. For a time 
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free. 

~Wendell Berry, "The Peace of Wild Things" from The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry




After gnawing off almost all of my lemon verbena, Bogart was worn out and need to lie in the sunshine for several hours.


He also discovered that 'facon' is to his liking.  As was the glass of ice water I had set on the floor while the table's paint was drying.

4 comments:

  1. I love the cloud formations. Glad you had a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo much nicer at my new apartment~no loud cars, no screaming fights~nice to be a peaceful place again.

      Delete
  2. Only YOU have a cat that drinks out of a glass...

    Those clouds look like more thunder is coming your way. Lovely blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very odd~the only human thing/food he's ever gone after in the past 14 years are tortilla chips. But now, he likes the glass. Maybe I'll get him a straw so he doesn't even have to sit up.

      Delete