Saturday, August 4, 2018

Shrumen Lumen


Since the rains lifted, today was declared a day to flaneuse. Hopped on Metro and wandered through the Renwick Gallery as it was on the way to the DAR Museum.


I am SO glad that I gave in to this impulse as they had a new exhibit~No Spectators


It's pretty much a guarantee that I will never attend Burning Man, but it was amazing to see some of the craft that goes into each year's festival. 


As I went upstairs, I could smell fresh wood~turns out the entire upper floor has been turned into a balsa shrine for grief and lost people/items. You got a little square and wrote what you were grieving and tucked it into the wall or sculpture throughout the room. 


Since it's coming up on the anniversary of Bogart's leaving me, his name got tucked into this niche. 





Loved this room of shadows/designs. 


If you look at the top photo, when the circle on the floor turned green, someone stepped into it and that made the 'shrooms open up. They are crafted out of what look like old postal bins and crackle and pop when opening. 





My original purpose of the outing was a World's Fair festival at the DAR Museum. But it was overrun with shrieking children, so I ducked into their library and scanned several volumes of Dunston genealogy. I may go back on a quieter day and do more research.


Visited the small and lovely Art Museum of the Americas~featuring artists from the Caribbean and Latin America. 




Hmmm, my lunch is upside down. Delicious falafal from one of the food trucks. 


Minute white blooms. 


Back to the Wishing Tree.



Just sitting a moment on one of my favorite city benches. 




Now I'm sitting between two box fans to recuperate from jaunting about in humidity.

2 comments:

  1. I may need to introduce you to my friend Sara who lives in DC (actually, they live at Langley bc her husband is an AF General) - she just told me about the Renwick show. She hits ALL the galleries. The whole folded mushrooms thing is adorably trippy, but it is the crenelations on the balsa wood altars which are just evocative for me - I would LOVE to do a whole room in a home with laser cut balsa for a wall treatment for a sort of Moorish look. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete