Friday, August 31, 2018

worth/value

That Inaugural hat!
Watched part of Ms. Franklin's service this morning prior to hopping on Metro to go to DC to attend the viewing at the Capitol of McCain.


The glamour and charisma of this singer are captured in those awesome red silk heels. 


I checked a couple of weather sources and they both said we were due to have massive storms. 


Library of Congress


But, no. It was blazing sun AND the outside line took three hours. 


Lots of time to observe the crowd~reminded me of Walt Whitman's poem I Hear America Singing. There were lots of Naval personnel, Vietnam vets, babies in strollers (although, I had a leetle judgement for those parents putting their children out in this heat for hours), people in wheelchairs, office drones, tourists, and locals.


Enjoyed chatting with people, the Red Cross handed out water, and my nice neighbor shared his umbrella.  By the time I got to the entrance, I counted 17 bodies out/down from the heat. Ya just don't mess around with this humidity.

Supreme Court

I will be curious to read the final visitor tally~I got in line around 12:30 and exited around 5:30.  It's supposed to be open until 8 p.m., but am guessing with people getting off work at 5 and joining the line, it will go on much longer.



Each loop of the line brought us closer to the dome. 


The elegant card the family gave out as we signed guest books. 



It was a poignant afternoon of watching people who disagree politically come together to honour a Senator. And again~whatever one's beliefs are, it was moving to be part of a national pageant and a day of history. 


Rest in peace~two people who influenced all of us.

4 comments: