Thursday, April 18, 2013

it all depends


Somewhat tongue-in-check illustration to describe this week.  Have had intriguing conversations and classes regarding media saturation, mental health and public safety.  The husband of a former voice teacher knows my love of poetry and shared this with me yesterday.  It sums up my philosophy quite eloquently.



(Chinese symbol for 'individual'.)


It Is I Who Must Begin

~Vaclav Havel 


It is I who must begin. 
Once I begin, 
once I try-- 
here and now, 
right where I am,
not excusing myself 
by saying things 
would be easier elsewhere, 
without grand speeches and 
ostentatious gestures, 
but all the more persistently 
to live in harmony 
with the "voice of Being," as I 
understand it within myself 
as soon as I begin that, 
I suddenly discover, 
to my surprise, that 
I am neither the only one, 
nor the first, 
nor the most important one 
to have set out upon that road. 

Whether all is really lost 
or not depends entirely on 
whether or not I am lost.


3 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, this poem twins well with another Piercy:


    For the young who want to
    By Marge Piercy

    Talent is what they say
    you have after the novel
    is published and favorably
    reviewed. Beforehand what
    you have is a tedious
    delusion, a hobby like knitting.

    Work is what you have done
    after the play is produced
    and the audience claps.
    Before that friends keep asking
    when you are planning to go
    out and get a job.

    Genius is what they know you
    had after the third volume
    of remarkable poems. Earlier
    they accuse you of withdrawing,
    ask why you don’t have a baby,
    call you a bum.

    The reason people want M.F.A.’s,
    take workshops with fancy names
    when all you can really
    learn is a few techniques,
    typing instructions and some-
    body else’s mannerisms

    is that every artist lacks
    a license to hang on the wall
    like your optician, your vet
    proving you may be a clumsy sadist
    whose fillings fall into the stew
    but you’re certified a dentist.

    The real writer is one
    who really writes. Talent
    is an invention like phlogiston
    after the fact of fire.
    Work is its own cure. You have to
    like it better than being loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to finding the map and one's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, your "It's all about me," is the opposite of how so many people think today - you are making it about taking responsibility for your life - your talent, your work, your contribution to the world, your health as far as you can, etc. - rather than ignoring "unintended consequences" and/or expecting someone to rescue you! Like the poems. Here's to you, my niece!

    ReplyDelete