Friday, August 25, 2017

daily dawns


Inscription for the Ceiling of a Bedroom 
~Dorothy Parker

 Daily dawns another day;
I must up, to make my way.
Though I dress and drink and eat,
Move my fingers and my feet,
Learn a little, here and there,
Weep and laugh and sweat and swear,
Hear a song, or watch a stage,
Leave some words upon a page,
Claim a foe, or hail a friend—
Bed awaits me at the end.

Though I go in pride and strength,
I'll come back to bed at length.
Though I walk in blinded woe,
Back to bed I'm bound to go.
High my heart, or bowed my head,
All my days but lead to bed.
Up, and out, and on;
and then Ever back to bed again,
Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall
I’m a fool to rise at all!


 With the slight dip in temperatures and the job-hunt burnout, I am ready for a winter's hibernation.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, someone tweeted the other day that she was wearing her first cardigan - in Wisconsin, land of horrible sweats, no less, and we all squeed with her to support her glee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ran errands with the car windows down & no a/c! First time in many months.

    ReplyDelete