Thursday, December 28, 2017

four frozen birds


It was -2 when I woke this morning, so if there were four calling birds~they were very quiet. Had a hoot today trying to explain the tradition of lefse to my rice-based ESL students. We had a meandering conversation about flatbreads of the world~injera, tortillas, naan, pupusas, moo-shoo, blini, crepes~now they can add the Norwegian variety.


And, best of all, I came away with a recipe from their grandmothers' kitchens~legamat. Fried dough covered in honey and sesame seeds sounds like the ideal snow day food!


I had the trail to myself for a brisk afternoon walk.

4 comments:


  1. the legamats look good. Stay warm on these frigid days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything fried is delicious!!

      I can't believe that I lived in Alaska and Minnesota~these temperatures just hurt.

      Delete
  2. Doughnuts, and without the rosewater -- I've had some variation on that, but the South Asian varietal is always sort of wet, which means I only eat a polite bite... these look like my favorite doughnut holes. With sesame seeds, which is something to which I could become accustomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking some kind of orange-honey would be divine!

      Delete