Friday, March 23, 2018

etched in sunlight

There's still snow on the ground and it's in the 20s each night, but spring must be around the corner! Here's some poetry of hope.

Soon?? Please!!
Today
If ever there were a spring day so perfect,
so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze

that it made you want to throw
open all the windows in the house

and unlatch the door to the canary's cage,
indeed, rip the little door from its jamb,

a day when the cool brick paths
and the garden bursting with peonies

seemed so etched in sunlight
that you felt like taking

a hammer to the glass paperweight
on the living room end table,

releasing the inhabitants
from their snow-covered cottage

so they could walk out,
holding hands and squinting

into this larger dome of blue and white,
well, today is just that kind of day.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like taking a hammer to snow globes most of the time, but now I HAVE AN EXCUSE.

    It's a break day today, so we have wiiiiiiind and sun. The rain's back tomorrow, because the wiiiiiiiind can't seem to only blow clouds AWAY. As I said: I refuse to complain. Last night, I went outside to see what tiny tree had leaves on it outside the kitchen window, and I discovered that we have two kinds of cherry trees, a tiny pear, AND AN AVOCADO WITH TINY FRUIT ON IT. Like, millions of them, which makes me really worry, since I don't know what I'm doing an wonder if they should be thinned, but ...AVOCADO!!!!

    Okay, sun. Come back now.

    ReplyDelete