Saturday, March 24, 2018

do you hear the people sing?


The Metro was running their rush-hour, weekday schedule~but the platform was verrrry empty on my end at 6:45 a.m.


Checked into Zone 3 and got my assignment from the team captain. Spent the next eight hours on the corner of 9th & D (right in front of the FBI Building.) 


Everyone who wears a uniform was pretty much at work today~whether a Metro driver (rail/bus), city police, National Guard, Park Services, Federal police~everyone was present.


Just one block off from Pennslyvania Avenue. 


The Urban League had about a six-block long group. 


There was a steady stream of people staring at 7:30~will be interested to see the final numbers for today. 


I was concerned that I wasn't native enough to be helpful with directions, but found that with my habitual city wandering, I actually do know the grid well enough to help.


I hung out with four fellow volunteers~Lavette, a newly retired court clerk (who had great city gossip.) Brian~also newly retired from his AP reporter job (great stories from all the big stories in this region.) David~a federal contractor for the EPA (great stories from his time in the Peace Corp and intriguing tales of environmental projects). Katy~his wife, who works for the Federal Parks services and is a DC native.  Between the four of them, I was well entertained and learned all kinds of local and global tips.


There were hundreds of clever, poignant, profane, and personalized signs~but this one was my favorite.


It was a peaceful crowd~I saw so much kindness. People kept giving us snacks and shaking our hands and shrieking "thank you" (our water bottle refill station was popular.) It is a bit incredible to think of a crowd (I'm hearing estimates of 800,000) like that and no violence occured.


A small group from the NRA set up behind for awhile (really?? Right under the FBI building?), but people ignored them. A few stood next to them with contrasting posters and took photos. They left after about 15 minutes of not getting a reaction. I was doubly grateful to be standing next to a group of Army peeps who were also watching for any flare-ups.


I left after four because I was frozen solid, but the crowds were still going strong.

à la liberté et à la démocratie!

No comments:

Post a Comment