Thursday, March 22, 2018

march marching


Although the roads were clear, we had another snow day (boo~means that I have to teach next week during Spring Break). The trees were stunning this morning~it doesn't show up here, but they were completely coated with ice and glistening with the sun beams. 


Had a quick bite at one of the indie bookstores~Busboys & Poets (Kramers is still the best in this town) and then headed to the DC Convention Center for a volunteer orientation for this Saturday's March for Our Lives.


An installation I would expect to see in Austin or Nashville, not staid DC. 


Have no idea the headcount for volunteers, but I would say it was several hundred. 


Besides logistics and s'hedules, we got to hear from six students from Parkland. It was an incredible moment. Especially this week when I've heard from friends/former students/colleagues affected by the bombs in Austin, the shooting in Maryland, a shooting in Princeton, etc. etc. ad nauseam. 


And with my new hat, I can be seen from the moon.


I'm still pondering the efficacy of marches/protests, but I know that it feels good to turn off the news, walk out the door, and participate in democracy in a visceral manner.

4 comments: