Sunday, August 11, 2013

lineage


I revere my Grandma Dunston for so many reasons~one of which is that she elevated housekeeping to a loving act far ahead of Ms. Stewart.   One of the best parts of my childhood summers was the week I got to spend at her home.  She taught me how to embroider among many other household arts.


Her eldest daughter taught me how to thread a sewing machine and patiently guided me through many a skirt and calmly took me through millinery mishaps.  So, it was a poignant afternoon when my baby sister opened her first sewing machine and we began to figure it out.  Her first project (other than sewing a pillow case closed) is black out curtains for their eastern facing bedroom.


Meanwhile, Monkey Toes tried to fit through the cat door in the baby gate.


This little brainiac cracks me up with his daily patrol of all the baby-proofed items in the house.  He checks each/every cupboard methodically to see if they've magically opened during his nap.  Then it's a dishwasher and oven check, then a quick rattle of the nearest gate to see if someone left it ajar.


"If only..."

4 comments:

  1. And yet you mocked our diligence in gate closings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the final click; think you've got a couple of weeks/inches before he can lift the white handle.

      Delete
  2. I don't think Martha Stewart had an inkling of the "loving" bits - just the showy bits. If your gran could make you realize love was present, she is, indeed, miles and leagues over Ms. Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's because all my memories of her were me being age 10 and under, but it just seemed like she made it all SO fun. I loved shadowing her all day.

      Delete