Saturday, August 24, 2013

high summer holds the earth


(Rain on pavement on a 103 day yields a steamy, foggy drive)

This week of gorgeous sun and enormous heaps of clouds reminded me of a favorite poem/choral arrangement.  There are several arrangements, but the Barber is the first one I learned. 

'Sure on this shining night
Of star made shadows round,
Kindness must watch for me
This side the ground.
The late year lies down the north.
All is healed, all is health.
High summer holds the earth.
Hearts all whole.
Sure on this shining night, I weep for wonder wand'ring far alone
Of shadows on the stars.'

 ~James Agee, "Permit Me Voyage" published 1934 by Yale University Press


 

 

2 comments:

  1. Still have the hardest time with rain in the summer...lived too long on the West Coast where rain = cold: Not put on your flip flops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's bizarre, isn't it? I used to be the only one in class in Jersey-all bundled up for the rain.

    ReplyDelete