Wednesday, August 14, 2013

jiggety-jog


Air travel is not so fun anymore.  I realize that's not a profound sentence, but after yesterday's hours spent in Chicago, that's pretty much all I've got.  Our flight kept getting delayed and certain passengers kept getting drunker and more belligerent.  (And I ran into students from the school where I just resigned~a little awkward).  We finally boarded and took off.  There were THREE babies that screeched.  The entire time.  Not just during the ear-popping take-off.  We all felt for their parents.  The darling behind me had his i-Pad.  Sans head phones.  Which he played at top volume for the entire flight.  My ride left her cell phone at home, so I wasn't sure she knew about the delays.

But she did show up~bless her heart~on a work night and drove me homewards.  Where we found that the gate code doesn't work at my place after midnight.  And my clicker was in my car.  So.  I had to climb the fences around the swimming pool.  In a skirt.  With my luggage.  To walk the last mile home.

And now I know why they gave me a cute little keychain flashlight when I signed the lease.  There are no lights in the parking lot.


But, I made it.  To find a very pampered Bogart and some very wilted plants.  And with my souvenir from the incredible antique place with which I've fallen in love~if there were a way to cram an armoire into my luggage, there would be one in my living room right now.  (The above is from the antique place's driveway--not my wilting garden).


Since the armoire wouldn't fit, I brought this motto home for this new year.


Those who know me are baffled by my rapid adaptation to Texan heat~had a good giggle at this road sign by my new studio this afternoon.  


4 comments:

  1. Oh come on...you climbed out of a train window with a bigger suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, started to laugh halfway over the fence with Italian memories. And may I just say that climbing fences is much easier than climbing through a train engine compartment?

      Delete
  2. Yeah.
    Air travel really isn't that fun, if you have time constraints, and an aversion to humanity in close proximity. I am unbothered by babies, and have noise-canceling headphones I use on long flights, but oy - people who drink and become less socially acceptable the longer they have to wait for a thing? - OY. The ones who try to start and insurrection and hope others will join? I want to push them out, preferably after we've already taken off.

    I am smirking at the image of you fence-hopping. Goodness, glad you got in, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And let's not EVEN speak of the ridiculousness that comprises security measures.

      Delete