Saturday, August 17, 2013

lessons


While I prefer teaching voice lessons and conducting choirs, I am grateful for the piano students who help to fill my studio & budget.  But there are hours where I want to mash my head on the keys from the tedium of beginning players.

But then.  There is that moment when they get a little glow and something clicks for them~whether it's recognizing all the note names or getting the rhythms right.  That moment is rather marvelous.  And I feel lucky to be there when it occurs.

2 comments:

  1. It's like teaching reading... you never remember how the magic happened for you, but seeing it happen for someone else relights your own flame. There is relief, there is joy, and the connection with the humming, unseen world that only exists between the pages...

    It must be even better when you teach someone to make their own music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear that time stretches out while waiting for someone's fingers and brains to coordinate. But yes, that life change is a fairly awesome event to witness.

      And I still remember the summer my dad taught me how to read~SO magical! I could suddenly decipher the entire world.

      Delete