Monday, August 19, 2013

still, life


To celebrate a school kicking off (and that it includes very little alarm clock action in my days), I tucked the remaining bits of Trader's dark chocolate into fresh dough and baked myself a nice little breakfast this morning.  I was busy watering my garden and didn't hear the timer, so they turned out a bit crispier than I had had planned.


As I've finally stopped trying to take photos of the moon~rising or otherwise~I ought to stop with trying to capture the morning light in my new place.  It's serene~we listen to the birds and cicadas and some rather freakishly large wasps as we (well, not so much the feline) drink our cuppa.  And I think~after 29 years of jobs~that I may have finally found a s'hedule that fits with my circadian rhythm!  It's truly lovely to have a slow morning and ease into the day.

We're still trying to figure out the basics of staying hydrated vs. having actual time to race to the restroom~as well as neutral, non-crunchy, non-refrigerated sorts of meals/snacks that can be consumed in the 30 seconds between lessons.  If I lived closer to my smallest nephew, I would be raiding his cupboard for those nifty squeeze meals.

To put it succinctly~this year is off to a mellow beginning.



4 comments:

  1. I love that title: Still, life.
    It's still life, regardless of whatever nonsense is going on, still the thing we're to live now, instead of waiting for some sweet someday. And, here you've found a way to live in the now at last. Brava.

    Despite poached students, clicky nails, weird hours, and the desire to bash your head against the keyboard, you have freedom from the clock, and enough to live on...

    ...and what did Mary Poppins say? Enough is as good as a feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a marvelous little comma, no? How did it never appear in any poetry class we took?

      Delete
  2. Tanita said it well. I read between the lines (as well as what you said) - and feel a certain contentment/tranquility that's not easy to achieve, even for relatively brief periods of one's life. Texas, especially Austin, has (I think) been good to and for you. Carry on, Laurie - remember you have people you seldom see who love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas has been very good to me. If only Austin had an ocean, I could stay here forever.

      Delete