Thursday, August 18, 2016

full moon rising


The backyard of our headmistress~rather lovely. (And I managed to sit upwind of the crab cracking table. While I usually am not too judgy of carnivores, there is something revolting about cracking open a large bug and sucking the legs of it.  Maybe I lived in the land of cockroaches too long, but ick!) 


This was Tuesday night and I came back to sit and swing and watch the moon rising. 


Some of us on campus were going to go for a kayak ride last night, but we had a violent storm and we decided to stay on land.  It's too cloudy tonight to go~looking forward to seeing an autumn moon rise!


The music classroom/program has fallen into dingy disrepair for the last few years~it will be fun to organize, decorate, and energize the music program so that it's as strong as the visual arts!  People (even in town) are ever SO THRILLED when they find out that I am their new musician~I almost expect cartwheels.  


I'll take some better photos when the painters are gone~but my room is overlooking the water.  It's a good thing my office desk is facing the street side, or I'd be staring out the window all the time. 


Trying out one of the rocking chairs on the large dorm porch while waiting for a colleague.  I am learning that a simple errand/walk that would normally take 10 minutes is stretched out much longer here. Small town living is....interesting, amusing, and disconcerting at times.  As I was walking back from the bank yesterday, a car slowed down and a woman rolled down her window and drawled out her excitement that I was a new bank customer and how delighted she was I was in town.  


This was MERE minutes after my transaction.  


As I had an unexpected meeting cancellation this afternoon (and why, after 15 years of teaching, I always forget how soul-draining faculty work week is) , I popped over to the Sheriff's office to get my fingerprinting done (why, I do not know as my fingerprints have been on-file with the FBI since 1993).  Met another chatty super-friendly office full of people (two of whom LOVED my purple hairs)  and while walking back, decided to pop into the local Episcopal church to say hello and check out the acoustics/spacing.  (The school chapel is abysmal and teeny and crammed in the basement.  If they are expecting a bell choir and any kind of choral/piano excellence, we need another venue.)  Ended up chatting for 45 minutes with Dr. J~a hilarious priest/college professor originally from the Bronx.  As she used to be the school chaplain for several years, she had much political wisdom to share.


I left with an invite to go for Chinese food so good that I would swear I was in NYC and a Wal-Mart gift card to buy whatever supplies I need until my stuff gets delivered.  Little blessings can be huge.

8 comments:

  1. Well, what a nice day to get acquainted with some people and your new town. Am eager to see it. Hope your things get there soon.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too~ready to stop living out of a suitcase. It's a very pretty area~cannot wait to see the autumn foliage!

      Delete
  2. Love what you're showing and saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else, I ought to gather a journal full of Jane Austen worthy observations!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're settling in nicely! Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "SO happy you share my ...bank."
    Riiiiight. Okay. Um, thanks?
    I love this little corner of Stars Hollow 2. I swear that's where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am pretty sure it was one of managers of said bank!

      Delete