Wednesday, August 3, 2016

If a journey of a thousand miles...


begins with one step, then I took exactly one today.  Popped out to return my wireless router and get gas this morning before the final loading of the car.  While pulling into the service station, my car made the worst grinding noise.  Between talking to a mechanic friend (and looking up the symptoms on-line [fyi?  Just like WebMD is a bad idea for freaking yourself out about physical things, so is the car portion], and it seemed that my car needed to get to the shop quickly.


I had to be moved out of my flat by noon, so I loaded the car, contemplated calling a tow truck, looked at my budget, and decided to drive slowly on surface streets.  We made it the seven miles and I about threw up with relief when we (that would be Bogart) and I arrived at the shop.  Fortunately, his Austin Auntie lives very close by and it was also her day off.  She graciously came and picked us up while we waited to hear the damage.


They had errands and such to do, so I amused myself by watching this Tom Cruise squirrel happily eating the bird food.  He must have freakishly strong toes.  And abs.  I was snoozing on the sofa when a mourning dove decided that life wasn't worth living and smashed into the slider.  I got up and that got Bogart all amped up and wanting out of his carrier.  He spilled water all over and of course, as I was cleaning that up~the mechanic called.  


Did I mention that our gracious hosts have two cats?  And when Bogart went on his wet tear through the house, it displeased Ms. Winifred.  I was trying to bring feline peace and listen to the details of what's wrong with my car.  He said the mechanic went for a test drive and the car was making noises, but they weren't sure if it was the same noises I had heard.  I didn't really care if our descriptions aligned, I wanted to know what was broken.


Turns out that I have a cranky wheel bearing and the parts will be procured tomorrow.  So, I made it a whole 8 miles on my trek eastward.


So, while my planned trip is turning out much differently, I am SOOO grateful that this all happened here. Where I have a trusty mechanic.  Where someone could give Bogart and I a quiet a/c place to wait for the afternoon. Where good friends with a feline-friendly home have taken me in for the night.  [That they're chef-level cooks just adds delight.]  Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. Which is greater - the gratitude (much deserved) - or having to repair your car eight miles East? Glad and sorry. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had to happen on the road, then this was ideal.

      Delete
  2. Oh my. Breathe in, breathe out. Glad you have a place to land.

    ReplyDelete