Sunday, September 3, 2017

out/about

Part of a walking words exhibit

Despite the pouring rain, took myself to the Smithsonians again.  I wandered in/out of exhibits, depending on how crowded they were.  As it's a holiday weekend and raining, most of my time was spent in the art galleries to avoid the hordes of unwashed and shrieking children.  I did stand in line to re-see the Constitution/Declaration/Bill of Rights (no photos allowed in the entire building~but y'all have seen them.  It was interesting to see Robert E. Lee's father and uncle's signatures on it.  I hadn't really noticed that before my history tour last month.)


One of my favorite buildings around here is the Hirschhorn Museum with it's unique round design and constantly rotating modern art exhibits.  One of the current one's is byAi Weiwei


You can read all about him/it in the link above~but there was room after room of these enormous panels made out of Legos. 


Calder's whimsy is always appreciated.


An entire room filled with something large~very much felt like this week, what with the job hunting and the impending different car purchase.


Just liked this one~have no pithy artsy comment.


However!  For this one, I do.  The actual title is Venus with Rags, but it looked far more like a sitch where one cannot decide what to wear.



A harbinger that PumpkinSpiceSeason is almost upon us?? 


Gorgeous flower beds everywhere.


Finally went in the National Gallery of Art which is exactly what I thought would be in the National Portrait Gallery~a bunch of old yawny oil paintings.  But, the setting was gorgeous, so it was worth the wander.


One of the atriums~one of my city goals is now to hear a concert in this space.  I spotted a grand piano tucked into one of the corners.


No matter how many times I see it (and it's not my favorite monument), I find the urge to take a photo irresistible.  

2 comments:

  1. HA! I know something artsy you don't!!! (Yes, rude, whatever, just let me savor this RARE MOMENT, all right????) The pumpkin is by Yayoi Kusama (just Google her name and you'll see), a Japanese surrealist artist who does what she calls 'infinity nets' with little dots all over everything. For some reason, she loves polka dots and pumpkins and leaves them everywhere in her public art.

    My favorite thing about her, other than her chill is that she started art late in life, and is just stylin' at 65.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known! She had a huge exhibit there in summer & I could never get a ticket for it. This must be a permanent installation.

      Delete