Sunday, September 24, 2017

all creatures great/small



Another sweet kitty all curled up during movie night. 


Since I decided it was too hot to attend the outdoor showing of Aida (Kennedy Center was projecting it at the ballpark for free), took myself to the National Zoo instead. 


Enjoyed watching the panda having a snack~she very deliberately would pick up one stalk at a time and nibble at it. 


Can't decide if I like tamarins or lemurs better~they both have such droll little faces and fun fur markings. 



You can juuust see the ears of this teeny armadillo.  




It was feeding time and these guys got little packages of food wrapped in newspapers. 



He's not very enthralled with the crowds~unlike his neighbor who swung around and hung her bum out against the window and defecated to the shrill horror of all the little kids in the crowd.



 

The last time I visited here, Josh was 8-9 months old.  You may remember some photos of naughty Giuseppe? 


He's still at it! He came trotting right up to his sleeping friend and rolled into him and kicked around. 



Couldn't not get a reflection, but these mantas must have been 4-5 feet across. Biggest I think I've seen~even in the Florida Keys. 


Someone doesn't seem that interested in lunch. 


I forgot what this is (yes, I really ought to snap the placards so I remember), it was one of the cooler reptiles I saw. 


Pretty sure I need this sparkly glowing fish~it would be a soothing nightlight.


Seemed counterintuitive on this hot/humid day to go into the tropics house, but I'm glad that I did as most of the animals are free-range. 



These two were highly interactive with people~even nipping a baby's toes.





Crackalackin! (If you haven't seen Madagascar, you might enjoy it.  I rarely like animated films, but it's a fun one.) 


This was a vertigo-inducing escalator out of the metro. Haven't seen any this deep since London.


And now you'll know where to find me when the nuclear craziness begins.

4 comments:

  1. Great pics. I like to remember that not even a sparrow falls to the ground without God's caring notice. We are loved, and He wants us to love the creatures He created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty easy to do~such variations to observe.

      Delete
  2. The San Diego Zoo earlier this year was the first zoo visit for me in years and years and years - since you took us to the weensy one near Lodi. Our family was always very big on zoos, aquariums and glasshouses in SF, (we even hit Oakland Zoo periodically) as a reasonable Sabbath activity, so I had tons of that when I was a kid, and then less so as an adult. It's a good place to just wander, isn't it? Brain in neutral, feet moving.

    ReplyDelete