Sunday, September 10, 2017

what we share together


Gorgeous sunset~I have vague memories of a childhood book Never Miss a Sunset. Don't remember much of the plot, but I remember the advice. Something about how they're (sunsets) not kept in drawers to pull out anytime we want to see one.




Wandering around Chinatown today and looked up and saw what looked like a WWII skyline from Europe.


Continuing with the spires. 


Back to the American Portrait Gallery~I couldn't fit all of this in the shot, but it's the Preamble of the Constitution in license plates.  I'm on the lookout for ideas to create some kind of sculpture with my own collection of license plates~however, I don't have vanity plates to spell anything out.  So far, I have CA, NJ, WA, and TX.  Once I get a permanent address here, I'll add either VA, MD, or DC to my collection!


Just some Tiffany windows in the stairwell.


A Steinway that Teddy Roosevelt commissioned for the White House.


Some inspiring quotes from the JFK exhibit.



The details in these old buildings is astonishing~this particular one was the original U.S. Patent Office.  Wonder how many patents/inventors passed through here that impact our current lives.



Something about a phoenix rising. 


John Ashbery~American poet who just passed away.  Umpteen awards, including the Pulitzer. 


Back to the Hockney.


The States made up of neon and TVs~yes, Alaska and Hawaii were included~just couldn't get them in the shot.


If you remember several of my Seattle photos included the Black Sun sculpture by Isamu Noguchi.  It was perched at the edge of Volunteer Park.  This is his Grey Moon.  Not quite as cool of a shot as the one I could get with the Space Needle framed in the middle, but still nice to see.




Dizzy Gillespie is one of my favorite performers to teach~his Salt Peanuts
 makes my students shriek.  But.  They'll remember that class.

Aaron Copland~another favorite American composer.   


Benny Goodman~one of my heroes for having one of the first integrated swing bands.


Bell jars in the Plath exhibit~very fun as you actually got to TOUCH an exhibit.  All the lights would start zipping around when you tapped on the glass. 


And boy did I clean up on the walk back from the Metro!

4 comments: