Saturday, November 11, 2017

#blessed


Big fat bird watching me eat my lunch
Generally, that hashtag irks me as it feels smug and trite. But I found it floating through my head all day. Maybe it's because the past two months have been such a slog and things are beginning to look better.  And today was just another good day of quiet joys.


This morning, I got to cook up a small storm~crisping sage leaves in brown butter to sit upon the sourdough bread stuffing...


rinsing and dicing cranberries...


and best of all? Anticipating all the piles of lefse I shall consume tomorrow. 

Renee & I at the National Cathedral


As I am the Queen of Finding Cheap (& Fun) Things to Do in Cities, I scored tix to the Veterans' Day concert at the National Cathedral. As my cousin is a Naval officer (and a trumpet player who appreciates great music), I invited them to be my guests.


A sublime concert with the Cathedral Choir and the Marine Corp Orchestra~they played so many favorites: Come Thou Fount, Battle Hymn, The Promise of Living, Shenandoah, New World Symphony and we all got to sing the national anthem and My Country Tis of Thee. It was amazing to belt those tunes out with brass and several hundred audience members. 


Very oddly, but rather nicely, the ushers gave us all lemon lip balm for "cold winter days".

So, I fall asleep with my heart full of blessings.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think "blessings" can become trite - though periods of our lives feel more blessed than others - we are always blessed in some way(s). Lovely photos - can almost smell the good food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant how often people chirp that phrase. A blessing is never trite.

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha - lip balm! That's... not at all where I thought they would go with that, but it's the first of the stocking stuffers of the season! It's actually very nice - I mean, you SAID it was 21°F. But still makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also: I am SO envious of the North East's red birds! I saw some when I was in DC/Vuhginyah in 2010 and they were eye-popping even in July.

      Delete
    2. I think the lip balm is made from ingredients from the grounds! Beeswax & lemon balm.

      Delete
  3. And yes, I get so excited when I see a bright red bird.

    ReplyDelete