Friday, November 1, 2013

All Saints, All Souls


My little drowned garden~our region just received 8-15 inches of rain in just a few hours.  With the ground already wet, it made for a dramatic flooding of creeks, rivers, and streets.  Fortunately, I live in the top unit in a building on a hill, so my home is dry, even if the commute is white-knuckled.


 We had a bit of sunshine for the black kitty to enjoy a warm All Hallows' Eve snooze.


And the verdict is in~after years of the evaporated milk recipe, I find that I like the texture of the sweetened condensed milk version.  (Please ignore the ugly crusts.  I cheated and used pre-made dough from Trader's and it....melted, is the best word, during baking.)


But I still think I'll be able to choke down this version as well in the next week or so.

4 comments:

  1. I have had squash soup, squash linguine, squash roast... no pumpkin pie just yet! I cannot wait to get home for that!

    And, your crusts don't look bad at all. I mean, you just have to have more shortening to make them look crisp and beautiful - TJ's must use less fat. Pretend that you chose that crust on purpose. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dough felt fine and the crimping was beautiful, prior to baking.

      Made spicy butternut squash soup for lunch! So yummy.

      Delete
  2. Did a double-take looking at pics before reading. Was sure more pie had been eaten than this showed! Yes, I believe you'll manage to "choke down" the delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Savoring them a small slice at a time!

      Delete