Wednesday, November 20, 2013

bEEEAUtiful


Drove west of the city to Hill Country today to visit Perendales Falls~which has been on my Austin to-do list.  It sounds trite even as I type, but it was a perfect autumn day~crisp and clear and cool enough for a hefty hike.


Down the now familiar terrain of white granite/limestone and scrub oaks and cedars.


My first glimpse of any real colour this season.


 As it was Tuesday, the park was serene....until two bus loads of fifth graders disembarked.  I hiked as fast in the opposite direction as possible.  While I love my students, when it is my day off, I do not wish to hear/see/smell or even sense children in large groups.






 While it's not an ocean wave, I was cheered greatly by sitting next to the smashing water for a long time.


Such a lovely spot to begin a new year of life.


Not sure how these large underwater holes are formed, but I'd hate to step in one during the summer.  Yes, for once, it was a bit too chilly to consider getting in the water.








Bogart has now been with me for 14 years, so he was treated to a nice chicken breakfast and we napped in the sunshine when I returned from hiking.  Then, I was off to the cinema with a friend and then off to a dinner party thrown by some other friends.   Emails and cards continue to arrive from afar.

It was a lovely day.  May it be an omen for this year.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, we learned that the holes in the river rock - at least in THIS part of the country - was because they were laundry rocks and/or acorn rocks. It's easier to make acorn flour if you don't have to go far to rinse the nasty, bitter stuff. (Do you remember doing that in the fourth grade? Good times.)

    Smashing water trumps a faraway ocean any day. I love rivers - their vivid activity, the fact that you can wade in them and skip rocks, if you find a calm spot... Looks like a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think being a 4th grader in Washington I would have been up to my elbows in acorn flour, but no. I remember being thrilled by some glass beads I got on a field trip to Ft. Vancouver.

      It was lovely. And mountains/rivers are nice, but I am an ocean girl to my core.

      Delete