Thursday, November 22, 2018

another chapter in family lore

Sis's bday flowers for herself
 So, I knew some illnesses were lurking about at my sister's home~didn't realize how serious they were until she texted me this morning that she'd been vomiting all morning. I grabbed my keys and hit the road.

My heart is all mushy with seeing my name on this plate

Got there in time to hang out with the older Littles while she and spouse made a trip to the ER for fluids and etc.


We watched the pre-recorded Macy's parade (the best way to do it-so you can zip through the eternal commercials and celebrity blah-blahing) and danced to all the Broadway hits. 


Fortunately, I snagged a fun gingerbread turkey kit from Trader's earlier this week, so we had one of our in/famous projects to do. (And I need to know what's in their frosting~that is some SERIOUS cement.)


When I stashed some pizza in the freezer on my last visit, I had zero idea it would be my Thanksgiving feast...but it was tasty and gave me energy for a very chilly walk in the afternoon. 



Nin rallied enough for us to have our birthday pie this evening...and we added another layer of hilarity to our history when she asked "when did we start this?"

I thought she was talking about her birthday candles and I replied at the age of 1.

She meant~when did humanity start doing birthday candles. 

Hysterical laughter while the children just stared at us.


Sad pie. 


Delightful pie.


So, while the menu was unusual, we still were all together and made some lasting memories. And, at the end of it all~isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? (And lefse making will commence on Saturday afternoon!)

2 comments:

  1. Laurie, you stepped "up to the plate" literally and figuratively! Sisters with birthdays four days apart - must be a Dunston tradition. Glad the little mommy rallied. The Bainbridge Mom was hit with a tummy bug, so we will try for tomorrow. And so it goes . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always tough to be sick~doubly so during a holiday. Hope she feels better.

      We're having ours tomorrow!

      Delete