Saturday, November 10, 2018

just a beautifully quiet day

It's delightful to be home during daylight hours. And even more so, when there's nothing on the to-do list other than perhaps some laundry. Looking for as much beauty as possible as dire and depressing items fill my newsfeed.

 I found this lovely poem on a new friend's site~and discovered that she and I are practically birthday twins. Tomorrow brings a forage for us vegetarians looking for our Thanksgiving feast.



November

Show's over, folks. And didn't October do
A bang-up job? Crisp breezes, full-throated cries
Of migrating geese, low-floating coral moon.

Nothing left but fool's gold in the trees.
Did I love it enough, the full-throttle foliage,
While it lasted? Was I dazzled? The bees

Have up and quit their last-ditch flights of forage
And gone to shiver in their winter clusters.
Field mice hit the barns, big squirrels gorge

On busted chestnuts. A sky like hardened plaster
Hovers. The pasty river, its next of kin,
Coughs up reed grass fat as feather dusters.

Even the swarms of kids have given in
To winter's big excuse, boxed-in allure:
TVs ricochet light behind pulled curtains.

The days throw up a closed sign around four.
The hapless customer who'd wanted something
Arrives to find lights out, a bolted door.

2 comments:

  1. I am positive I never love it enough, am never dazzled enough, and PROMISE myself I will do better next year. Promises, promises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember if it is Anne Dillard or Barbara Kingsolver who wrote a gorgeous line about standing in awe at the mailbox and not caring if the neighbors think you're insane for staring at trees.

      Of course, it was said eloquently.

      I do gasp every once in while from sheer beauty~going around a corner and there's a stunning tree. Bummed that we're getting a bunch of rain right now and it's stripping the trees.

      Delete