Sunday, January 20, 2013

gift carded


Some grouse about the impersonality of being given gift cards for any occasion; I?  Think they're genius.  Especially when they are what I call 'generic', i.e.  for Amazon or Visa and I can use them for anything.  I had a nice stash from Christmas, so after I attended to the outer me (grey hair coverage), I decided to have a mini-break in San Antonio, having not been there yet!


As it's only an hour away, it was high time.  I googled 'MLK weekend getaway bargain' and found the most charming hotel!  I would go back, just to stay in this converted factory.  Loved the high ceilings, brick walls and wooden flooring and furniture.


Although being smack downtown/convention section, Riverwalk Vista had so many charming touches--including Fred the fish....more on him in a bit.


Checked in around 3ish and after inspecting the room, hit the streets to visit the Mexican Market.


By happy coincidence, my window looked directly out upon The Torch of Friendship--installed in 2002 as a gift from the Mexican Consolate to represent the American/Mexican history and ties in this city.  


Just another shot of the room--am looking at furniture styles in the hopes that I may have a furnished home again, some day.  Like the style of the chair, but it was hard, narrow and slippery to sit in.



There was a journal in the room and it was delightful to read the past several years' worth of visitors from all over the world.  The sentiments ranged from poignant--such as the entry above--to restaurant recommendations and various anniversary celebrations and road trippers.  It was fun to add my own page as the 49er's are on their way to the Superbowl and I woke to MLK Day AND the Inauguration.   



San Fernando Cathedral in which the remains of the warriors from the Alamo are interred.


And I know it's wrong, but I started humming 'Davy.  DAvvvvvy Crockett, king of the wild frontier'.  Wrong, yes.  So wrong.


Always gain perspective at memorials or grave sites -is what I'm angsting about today, really that important in the universal scheme of things?  Not so much.  Go have an ice cream is generally the wisdom I hear in these sorts of places.


And of course, I had to meander a bit on the famed Riverwalk.  Think perhaps, it is one of those places that is better in the photos.  Yes, it's lovely and there are many places to eat/drink along the water, but I'd rather go to Venice.  At least there, it would be exotic urine I would be stepping in....




Friendly little Teddy hangin' out in the room.


And a rubber ducky in the shower!


Factory ceiling.


There were three journal entries which mentioned the fish and they all called him Fred as well!  Thought this was funny as 'sleeping with the fishes' is not usually something one aspires to.

The Alamo is on the menu tomorrow....

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to know the stats on how many drunken tourists fall into the river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as there are NO guard rails. And I'm sure they get run over by the volume of tourist boats zipping along. Must be quite amusing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! Venetian urine IS better than Texan, oh my, yes.

    :gag:

    Cities. I can do without them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the filthier cities I've visited. Grateful that it wasn't hot and odorous during my visit!

    ReplyDelete