Monday, January 21, 2013

remember


Dawn in Washington, D.C.--all kinds of metaphoric. 


Due to the excellent blackout curtains in my room, dawn came when I said it did.   A rather lovely thing--need more mornings like this.


However, I did wake in time to have a delicious breakfast of spinach empanandas and piles of fresh fruit supplied by the inn.  And I still had plenty of time to queue with all the senior citizens to wait for the park rangers (all carrying loaded guns) to open the doors/gates of the Alamo.


One of the staircases leading out of the inn.


The U.S. Post Office.


Often become queasy at sites such as these; all those ghosts and all that bloodshed.  When we visited Terezin, I became so ill that I had to exit the grounds and sit behind the bus for awhile.


So, I didn't linger inside, but wandered the garden areas and museum and resisted buying coonskin caps for all my nephews.


Thought this was extremely clever; the original wii!


Not sure what game is on the left and there was no guide/docent around to pester.




Love the huge oak trees in Texas.


Part of the original sluice for the grist mill.


 Another view of the knot of borders--as I sub-titled this.  





And after reading umpteen plaques, I now know why so many things in Austin are named Travis. And if you think I'm going to enlighten you, you are mistaken.


The research library on the property--to which the general public is denied access.



The corner which Bowie protected on his last day.




Got back to the hotel for check-out and was able to watch a bit of the Inauguration   It may be the British bloodline, but I do love pomp and ceremony.  And after all the bitter and nasty, it was a glorious respite to hear some choirs and some brass and see everyone dressed up and on their best behavior--going to church and the swearing-in and the luncheon together.  (and regardless of one's political leanings, I think we can all say that we have a beautiful First Family!!)


Everyone who knows me will be deeply impressed that I was able to hit this outlet and spend LESS than $20!  Thank you gift cards.


My 2013 Christmas ornament.  Although, this in NO way means that I cannot continue to travel through then next 11 months.


And it's been weeks, but I did find a penny this weekend.


Also hit the Bass Outlet and replaced my Seaside flats that were completely flapping and worn through.  Eager to see where this pair takes me.  It was a wonderful mini-break, but not really fond of San Antonio--filthy streets, filled with the mentally deranged and a general sense of decay and poverty.

My next scheme is a road trip through Tennessee--to visit a cousin on the way to Virginia.  But who knows how the map will unfold in the next few months?  I'm liking 2013 very much.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day. That would be a city to explore sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Now I'm going to have to google the Travis thing since you're withholding info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I live in Travis County and we have Lake Travis and many streets named after him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The real truth is that the women of the first family have excellent coats - those dress coats are big in the UK, and somewhere you might live somewhere it gets cold enough to have one again!

    Or, not, you know.

    Sounds like a memorable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't decide which coat I like the best. And with the excellent a/c in Texas, I could always just wear one indoors!

    ReplyDelete