Friday, May 3, 2013

incredible orbit


It was a year ago that I decided to move to Texas.  Teaching the miscreants aside, it's been a rather marvelous decision.  


I had the thrill of towing a U-Haul behind my teeny Honda through the Shasta curves.  Visited numerous former haunts in Cali, caught with friends/family, waded in the Pacific, and then miraged my way eastward through 100+ temperatures with a car load of plants and a stitched-up kitty cat.


Arrived in Austin on 1 July--knowing no one, having no job and no place to live.  Within the week, I had found employment, a brand new apartment and attended a massive 4th of July symphonic fireworks show.  During the autumn semester, I hosted several visitors--catching up with an undergrad classmate, a grad school classmate, a cousin and an aunt.


No sooner had I unpacked,  I began to travel--going to Virginia to meet my newest nephew, exploring New Orleans for my b-day and a jaunt to San Antonio.  Two more jaunts back to the DC area for both Christmas and Spring breaks were a delight.  And there were many local hours logged in finding great food/coffee around the city, hiking, swimming and merely enjoying the musical ambiance of this city.


In the past year, I've gotten to traipse around several galleries and gardens and artist walks.  Heard SO many fabulous authors--from Justice Sotomayor to Dave Barry to Augusten Burroughs.  Heard umpteen local bands, won tickets to Bon Jovi, getting ready to hear Paul McCartney.


I've learned my way around a brand new city--learning the libraries and the cafes and the delis and the back roads to take when the freeways are clogged.  Met a ton of interesting and intriguing people.  Started teaching at the community college level.  It hasn't all been balloons and butterflies, but overall?  I am glad that I came here.  I've learned a lot more about me while living here.


What's next?  No idea.  In the process of auditioning and interviewing and waiting to see what unfolds...

Still on the list?  Learning to two-step, attending a high school Texan football game, going to wade/swim in the Gulf, going to Fredricksburg (town founded by German immigrants), and buying some cowboy boots.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm fairly certain Clinton and Stacy say that every Texas woman ought to own a pair of boots.

      I have had two in my life, and wore those puppies right out, and I'm not even a Texan. If I could rock it, so can you. They do make you walk like you're about to kick the crap out of everyone in your path, but you may find this a bonus. I know I do.

      Delete
    2. Aaaand there's a reason to go buy some this afternoon!!! I'm leaning towards a dark grey pair.

      Delete