Friday, May 31, 2013

of 'shrooms & Mozart


Went to water last night and was startled by these jellyfish like mushrooms growing amid my native grasses.


Am tempted to smoke them to see if it makes the remaining school days go by faster.


My accompanist extraordinaire happens to be married to a marvelous cellist.  He and I were having a random conversation a couple of weeks ago and he offered that his string quartet was working on a Mozart piece and would my students like to hear it?


I had just prepped a Mozart/Salzburg/Zauberflote lecture and was thrilled at the serendipity of this offer of a group to come to the school.  Gratis.



Not only was their playing exquisite, the manner in which they fielded questions was awesome.  One fourth grader asked what a cello would weigh if it were stuffed with tofu.  Violin I popped back with "soft or firm tofu?"  (The child was lucky he was a few children away from my pointed toes or he would have been kicked.)


What a lovely ending to their semester.  Now to get through the 3.5 remaining days with a smidgen of this elegance.

5 comments:

  1. What a nice treat to have a string quartet come to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...what a funny question and a great come back! Maybe he was hungry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quartet was wonderful. And it was a truly strange question deep in the heart of beef country; I could see this in Berkeley, but in Texas? Bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *snort*

    I am laughing that NOT ONE PERSON has commented on your desire to smoke mushrooms to make the school days go faster. Clearly we're the only teachers in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so pretty and gossamer; not usually an adj. that I'd use for mushrooms. Dainty little bells.

      Delete