Saturday, May 11, 2013

itsy-bitsy, my eye


And now I know what the phrase 'heady perfume' smells like--my jasmine are running wild all over the balcony railings.


We had a massive and air-clearing storm last night; also helped keep all the crazed neighbors inside.

Decided to see if my favorite trail was open this morning and was glad to find it so. The trail was covered with storm detritus, so I freaked a bit when what I thought was a chunk of tree started crawling around.

Normally I like furry things, but this is on my heeby-jeeby list.  Ick.  Realize that I need to get a book from the library on the poisonous critters of the hill country. Might be more important to my health than all the guides to birds and butterflies that are sold everywhere here. I've yet to see a scorpion or any kind of snake. 


After that creepy encounter, I had to go down the trail with the sparkly arachnids to cleanse the visual palette.


Developing an admiration for the toughness of the Texan wildflower; they survive pounding rains, hail and blistering sun.  And no doubt, some bug and bird attacks.


And I figure if Monet can paint the same landscape hundreds of times, I am free to take as many photos of the same path over a few months.

Happy trails and weekend to all ya'll.

4 comments:

  1. OK, I don't understand why that spider didn't come home with you, except that you probably didn't have anything like a box with you, right? Otherwise, well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

    Note to self: Under no circumstances join L. on walks.

    FLIPPIN' HECK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since researched said spider and discovered that they're quite fragile and if they jump at all, it's an inch or so to grab prey. Their venom is not fatal/toxic to humans--basically it would feel like a bad bee sting. The females live up to 20 years, lays 1000 eggs at a time and are quite shy and won't attack unless provoked.

      Sounds like a badly written personal, no?

      Delete