Monday, May 13, 2013

pauses for drama


I really have no need for a TV in my life; there seems to be plenty of drama that occurs in reality.  Dunno why, I think I am a quiet person who lives a life of routine and schedules.  But things happen around me that are Crazy. 

My neighbors bring an entire new level of drama to apartment living.  Just had a child give himself a concussion in choir--no, not by falling off a stage or the top riser.  Nope, just smacking his little head into the floor.  And this was a very short singer, so there wasn't much space between his head and the floor to begin with.


But yesterday is going to be a highlight in the epochs of my life:  was about three miles into my hike when I realized that I had left the rice cooker boiling away.  The management office opens at 1 on Sundays and it was around 11:30.  No one else has keys to my place (and even while thinking someone local should have keys--everyone I would trust with a key lives on the opposite ends of the city).  So I RUN straight up the mountain and leap into my car.  And.  Hit church and Mother's Day brunch traffic.


While I guessed that the cooker would not start an actual fire, the above is of course! what I was picturing.  Smoke setting off the sprinkle system and firemen breaking down the door.  Bogart escaping into the street to be run over or eaten by the tow yard guard dogs across the street.

I arrived home to a scorched cooker and 0 drama.  And now I know that my heart is in great shape and I'm able to run a couple of miles.


After I cleaned up, I went to Wal-Mart (don't judge, I have a gift card and they have the cheapest dried legumes in town) and could see a man kinda sidle up to me and then back away.  Finally he walked up and said "I do not mean to insult you at all.  And I am not saying that because you're a woman, that you can cook.  But women are better at finding things and I have no idea where the yeast it."

I laughed and said that I loved to bake and yeast is in teensy envelopes that are hard to find even when one knows what to look for.  Mission accomplished.  


 Am home now.  With laundry and a book. 

And am kinda waiting for the dryer to explode or a brown recluse to crawl out of the pages.


2 comments:

  1. I have a second-hand old rice cooker, and mostly my concern with it is that the rice will dry out, not that the house will burn down - it has a Keep Warm function that clicks on when it's done. I've honestly never known a rice cooker to do more than toast and then dry out rice... while I'm glad to know you CAN run, I am beginning to slightly wonder about your appliances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't so much worried about flames as I was triggering the smoke detector--which after a short amount of time would set off the industrial sprinkles in the building. Trying to remember exactly how old this rice cooker is--at least 20 years old!

    Today has been much calmer.

    ReplyDelete